OIL CABLE LEAK LOCATION USING THE HV TEST LEAK LOCATION SYSTEM
How does using the HV Test PFT oil leak location solution differ to the Freezing technique?
For the Freezing Method
- Multiple freezes are needed to detect a leak with this traditional method.
- Cable has to be off-line during the freezing process which leads to a loss of revenue.
- Freezing damages the outer insulating jacket, could result in water entering the cable which causes corrosion and may lead to further leaks.
- Damage to adjacent cables during the excavation to prepare a work space to freeze the cable is also a possibility.
- Damage or disruption to adjacent water, sewer, gas, telecom and other power cables during the excavation to prepare a work space to freeze. the cable is also a possibility.
- Some leaks can take up to a year to locate with the Freezing method.
- Some cables CANT be “frozen”.
- Pin pointing a leak is almost impossible.
With the HV Test PFT Leak location Method:
- Cable can remain operational during the PFT leak location process.
- No excavation is required during the PFT leak location process.
- There is no damage to any part (including the outer sheath) of the cable.
- Due to no excavation until time to repair the located leak there is materially less possibility of damage adjacent cables or other services.
- Average time taken from call out to pin pointing of over 400 leaks has been 8 hours.
- Pinpointing of a leak to within a meter is a reality.
- Location of multiple leaks on the same cable section is not a problem.
From an Engineering and Environmental perspective
- PFT Leak location reduces the time taken to locate leaks from months to hours.
- PFT leak location is no way damages or compromises any part or aspect of the oil cable.
- Material reduction in likelihood of damage or disruption to other cables and utilities in the vicinity of the leaking oil cable.
- All the associated saving and benefits and asset security by pinpointing a leak to within 1 meter.
- Total end cost of PFT should be less than freezing.
- Any environmental damage and associated penalties are limited due to the ability to leak locate within hours as opposed to weeks or months.
- Cable can remain operation and generating revenue while leak location is ongoing.
- Finding leaks faster and without damaging the oil cable in anyway reduces the amount of oil required to support oil cables.
- The cable life and cable reliability is extended.
Specialists in High Voltage Testing & Diagnostics